Friday, March 21, 2014

Every Shattered Thing - Review



Every Shattered ThingSynopsis:

Stephanie fights reality every day. The voices inside, the ones declaring her worth, deem her broken, used and dirty. She is an object. A toy. Something to be tossed aside when bored. Who will believe her if she whispers the truth about her wrecking ball of a family? Eventually, her secret explodes and the person who means the most to her knows just how shattered she is and why she's so afraid. But rescue is closer than she realizes. Hidden in plain sight, her horror hasn’t been ignored by everyone. Racing against the truth of what she faces, forces are joining together and developing a plan to free her from the hell in her own backyard. And while she’s at her lowest point, she’s hit with the beauty of love at any cost - redemption in the face of ruin. Will it be enough?

*Warning: Contains mature content that may not be suitable for younger audiences*

Elora Ramirez Bio:

Elora Ramirez lives in Austin, Texas with her chef-husband. At the age of four, she taught herself how to read and write, cutting her teeth on books like Dr. Seuss and writing anywhere she could find the space--including her Fisher Price kitchen set, the pages of picture books and Highlights Magazine. Since then, she's grown to love the way words feel as they swell within her bones. Writing holy and broken is her calling, and pushing back the darkness and pursuing beauty through story is her purpose. She embraces the power of story and teaches women from all parts of the world how to embrace theirs. She has a knack of calling things out , the truth and the detail, the subversive threads that make a life a story. She loves hip-hop, wishes she lived by the beach and cannot write without copious amounts of coffee, chocolate, music, and her husband's lavender liqueur.

Buy Links:



Links:













My Review

I can’t even begin to explain to you what this book has done to me emotionally. It was definitely a difficult subject to read about but the author did an amazing job with this book but let me tell you… do not go into this thinking it is going to be this wonderful light hearted read… it’s deep, emotional, dark, and brings out some serious and REAL issues.

“Without the sunrise I wouldn’t feel alive. The sunrise reminds me there’s always another day coming.”

Stephanie lives in her own personally hell that her parents have pushed upon her. She must protect her younger brother at all cost but there is no one really there to protect her. There are people who want to help her (like Emma, Jude and Kevin) if she would open up and give them the full truth of what is really occurring behind closed doors but they don’t know the extent of what is happening. My heart broke for Stephanie. I cried for her because no girl should ever have to go through what she did especially at her own father’s hands. The way her parents would talk to her to would make me cringe. I would dread any scene when I knew she would have to go home and face them. I wanted to be able to pull her out of the pages in the book and wrap her in my arms to keep her safe.


"A way out? Kevin, my life isn’t a Disney movie or Friday night sitcom. It’s just something I have to accept. It doesn’t mean I’m okay with it, it just means I was dealt a crappy hand of cards and it’s what I have to work with- nothing more, nothing less.”

Kevin was amazing in this book…. For as much as I despised Stephanie’s father I loved Kevin that much more!!! Stephanie’s dad was a MONSTER. He was a manipulative, evil man! The sad part is… there are truly people in our world like him. Kevin (Stephanie’s boyfriend) was like a ray of sunshine though always trying to build her up and bring a little bit of hope. Letting her know he wouldn’t stop until he got her out of that house. He was always trying to encourage her and lift her up saying things like:

"You need to know this. You need to know you can write. You need to know that you being successful and doing things is possible.”

Elora Ramirez… you wrote a fabulous book on a subject that many authors would probably shy away from. This is something that isn’t easy to discuss but your book is phenomenal. It shattered my heart and I really hope that we are going to get a second book and that it will not end that way… I want more to the story of Stephanie and Kevin. Even though Stephanie is shattered right now I want her to realize her true worth and be able to pick up the pieces of her life and find happiness.

1 comment:

  1. One of my all time favorites reads! I also really do hope we are going to get a second book. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete