Thursday, October 10, 2013

Remember When - Review

**REVIEW**

Remember When

By: T. Torrest

 
RW Blurb

Ever wonder how often Brad Pitt’s high school girlfriend must ponder jumping off a bridge? Ever think about the girl that had her hooks in George Clooney before he took off for TV stardom? How about Leonardo DiCaprio’s ex, or Johnny Depp’s first groupie, or any number of young women who got left behind when their boyfriends set off for greener pastures and eventually achieved unfathomable Hollywood fame?

My name is Layla Warren and I don’t need to wonder about any of those things. I already know. Because years before Trip Wiley could be seen on movie screens all over the world, he could be seen sitting in the desk behind me in my high school English class.

This was back in 1990, and I cite the year only to avoid dumbfounding you when references to big hair or stretch pants are mentioned. Although, come to think of it, I am from New Jersey, which may serve as explanation enough. We were teenagers then, way back in a time before anyone could even dream he’d turn into the Hollywood commodity that he is today.

In case you live under a rock and don't know who Trip Wiley is, just know that these days, he’s the actor found at the top of every casting director’s wish list. He’s incredibly talented and insanely gorgeous, the combination of which has made him very rich, very famous and very desirable.

And not just to casting directors, either.

I can’t confirm any of the gossip from his early years out in Tinseltown, but based on what I knew of his life before he was famous, I can tell you that the idea of Girls-Throwing-Themselves-At-Trip is not a new concept.

I should know. I was one of them.

And my life hasn’t been the same since.
 



Excerpt

 He smiled as I got out of the truck, and because I knew he was watching me, I made extra sure not to slip and wind up face-down on the sidewalk.
   I was feeling a little elated from the time I’d just spent alone with him, while simultaneously feeling let down at the thought of it coming to an end. I knew I was stalling, hoping to drag a few more seconds out of our time together, but I couldn’t stop myself. “Hey, thanks for the ride.”
   He leaned over toward the passenger side to talk to me out the open window. “No problem.”
   I tapped my toe against the tire as I asked, “See you tomorrow?”
   He winked and repeated, “See you tomorrow.”
   Short of throwing myself across the hood of his truck, there was really nothing else to do at that point but say goodbye. I had just turned and was starting to walk inside when I heard him yell, “Hey Layla!” which made my stomach do a little flip.
   I looked back at Trip, still leaning out the passenger window with a wide grin playing at his lips and answered, “Yes?”
  His grin turned into the full-force smile, the one that stopped me dead in my tracks at lunch.
   “Good luck.”
   At that, he threw the truck in gear and took off.
 



RW Goodreads Link


RW Buying Links

Amazon UK – http://ow.ly/oRadI
Amazon US – http://ow.ly/oRakq


Author Bio

T. Torrest is a New Adult fiction writer from the U.S. She has written many books, but prays that only a handful of them will ever see the light of day. Her stories are geared toward readers of any age that know how to enjoy a good laugh and a dreamy romance. 

She likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. She's not much into health food, but she does enjoy talking about herself in the third person.

A lifelong Jersey girl, she currently resides there with her husband and two boys.


My Review:

Stars: 4.5


This book was a breath of fresh air and was a blast from the past. It brought me back to high school and back to when New Kids On The Block were actually popular… and yes I remember those days!!!     
There is nothing better than young love, and Layla Warren discovers that in High School. Although there are past family issues with Layla in regards to her mother she is moving on and looking forward to her senior year! When Trip Wilmington, the new kid, ends up sitting behind her in class things are definitely looking brighter for Layla.

Layla and Trip fall into a friendship easily. They just fit together and even though Layla is developing feelings for Trip, she is sure he doesn’t feel the same way. I loved their playfulness that they shared. None of their friends understood the type of relationship that they had. (In my opinion I really don’t think at first they understood the depths of it) It starts with mindless flirting mostly from Trip which of course hooks Layla immediately! I remember what I felt like when a cute guy would flirt with me in High School…. I would just fall over myself. (kind of embarrassing!)
Layla was so innocent but absolutely hilarious with her conversations with Trip and I found myself at times laughing at her quick wit!

Layla had a group of friends that was considered her crowd. You learn to appreciate them all and their journey through their final year of high school. You experience parties, trips, fights, love, and much more as you follow along with them. You can’t help but compare their times to your times in high school. They were such a close group and to have to see them say goodbye and go their separate ways was just heartbreaking. I remember crying after my graduation knowing I was leaving behind so many great friendships.
The ending leaves you wanting so much more…. You finally get to know what was written in a note back at the beginning of a book…. WOW! Just blew me away….. I can’t even begin to describe how refreshing and relaxing this book was.

I think the song that came to mind while I was reading this story was One Direction’s - What Makes You Beautiful!


**Review for Remember When 2 will be posted later in the day. I wanted you to enjoy Remember When Review first. **

No comments:

Post a Comment